Saturday, February 14, 2009

The Trip: Thailand










































As you may or may not know, my trip dates are all but set in stone. I will fly from Nagoya, Japan to Bangkok, Thailand on Saturday, 28 March and then to Kathmandu, Nepal on Tuesday, 31 March. So, what to do for a few days alone in Thailand besides be aware for “girls” with adams apples?

Luckily I have numerous friends in Japan that have spent time in Bangkok. In fact, one is headed there in the next few weeks. I’ll certainly be hitting them up soon. Until then, I’ve started with Al Gore’s trusty Internet.

One of the sites I like to use for playing tourist is the World Heritage site. (LINK) Thailand has five sites on the list:

The historic Town of Sukhothai is named after an early kingdom in north-central Thailand around the old (appx 1238 – 1438). Historic remains include monuments and architecture that is considered the beginning of “Thai” architecture as we know it today. Unfortunately, it’s pretty far from Bangkok.

Thungyai-Huai Kha Khaeng Wildlife Sanctuaries sit around the Myanmar border in western Thailand. While it might be cool to visit, I’m going to skip on this trip for safety and time reasons; although, it would be fun to take some wildlife photos of tigers and elephants.

The Ban Chiang Archaeological Site is in central Thailand and is a hotbed for archaeologists studying early, Southeast Asian civilizations and cultures. It’s not quite my thing, but I wish I had time to check it out. Maybe next time I’ll go dig up a 4,000 year old rice farming tool.

Dong Phayayen–Khao Yai Forest Complex. It’s likely a rain forest full of the Ebola-SARS-Bird Flu virus. Kidding...sorta. I can spell "malaria," and that's about as close to it as I wish to get.

Perhaps the closest, most interesting and, so far, most suggested site to check out is the Historic City of Ayutthaya. No need to write about it: HERE for the video. (Sorry for removing the video. I was too lazy to figure out how to set the video so it wouldn't start automatically. HTML isn't my bag. Please click on the link if you want to view it.)

Ayutthaya will probably be a full day trip, so that will leave time the other days to visit museums, shrines, etc. in Bangkok. AND, I’m especially looking forward to the food!

More to come...Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment