Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Live-Fire Training Weekend – UPDATE

I forgot to add a cool experience from last weekend. We are all familiar with the many wild animals in the States: A few bear and cat species, numerous canine species and quite a few ungulate species like Whitetail Deer, Roosevelt Elk and Mountain Goats. We more or less expect them when hiking or driving through less-inhabited areas.

Obviously, there are many different animals that live on the Japanese Archipelago. I have been lucky enough to spot a number of them here, which is evidently rare. (My suspicion is that it is only “rare” because people “rarely” get out of the city.) Anyway, I have seen some Japanese Sika Deer, Japanese Macaques (aka Japanese Snow Monkeys) and entirely too many of their massive, unusual-sounding ravens.

Unfortunately, I know very little about what animals to be watchful for in the wilderness areas here. But the flip side of that is I am unexpectedly excited when I see something new. Take in point this weekend’s surprise: The Japanese Serow. There is a photo below, but here is my poor attempt at humorous poetry in the form haiku (how appropriate!) to describe the…thing.

A bit like a deer
But not exactly a goat
Smells like vinegar?

OK...that was bad, and yet I still posted it!

Before I go, be aware that in my next post I am going to try to give you a feel for a Shinto ceremony of which we were privleged to participate.


























Sika Deer
































Japanese Macaque (aka Japanese Snow Monkey)





























Japanese Serow

No comments:

Post a Comment