Monday, February 23, 2009

Live-Fire Training Weekend

Most of you know that my cardiovascular training hasn't been going well because of my right knee. I haven't ran for two or three weeks now, so I've been sticking to walking around the city. BORING! Anyway, I figured a change of pace was needed this past weekend, so I decided to take a training trip to the Chuo (Central) Japanese Alps.

I packed about 50lbs of gear and food into my pack and left for Nagano Prefecture in central Japan on Saturday morning by train. After a 3.5 hours on the train and 3 hour mistake due to me being an idiot when switching trains, I arrived in Komagane and I started walking west. (Pull up Google Earth: 35 deg, 43 min, 44 sec North Latitude; 137 deg, 56 min, 01 sec East Longitude.) Most people take the 45 minute bus ride uphill, but that wouldn't exactly be "training." So, I hoofed it.

After about 3 hours of walking, I found a flat spot (it happened to be a frozen pool of water on the side of a waterfall), setup my tent and prepared to freeze by butt off while attempting to sleep. Luckily I was super tired and it wasn't too cold, about 15 degrees F. My gear kept me nice and toasty, relatively speaking. (Note: You can always use your pack as a tertiary layer of insulation...just slide it over the foot of your sleeping bag. It's also a good way to keep things from freezing. Frozen contact solution isn't helpful.)

The only photo I took was of me eating, so here it is. I was SO hungry that I didn't wait for the food to cool down...my tongue has not yet forgiven me and still refuses to taste properly.















Freeze-dried Reginelle all'Arrabbiata...mmmm


On Sunday morning I ate, packed up my things, and continued uphill for another 3 hours to the Komagatake Ropeway at Shirabidaira Station. (Yes, I will quiz you on those names later.) Total elevation gain was about 3,200 feet. I was more than happy to pay $25 for the "Chuo Alps Komagatake Ropeway" ride for the next 3,000 feet.

After the gondola ride, I talked to someone about the snow forecast and 60mph winds, put on my crampons, pulled out the ice axe, got a swig of water and started uphill again. This photo was taken about 15 minutes after leaving the station and just before the real work began. You REALLY do have to love this because I'm sure it looks painfully un-fun for most of you!



















Cold + Wind + Snow + 50 deg Slope + 50 lb Pack = "Training"


About two-thirds of the way up, I needed a break and pulled out the camera. What fortunate timing! Nothing like a goosh of snow down your shirt:



The rest of the day was a great time and a fantastic learning experience: Lots of ice, TONS of wind, dangerous snow conditions and great views. I stopped about 10 steps short of my goal, Mt. Komagatake's summit, because it wasn't safe to continue without ropes and at least one teammate. Close enough, though, right?

Here are a few more photos and another video. Hopefully they give you a sense for what it is like just under 10,000 feet in Japan's winter months!














Mt. Hoken (9,616 feet)
















Mt. Komagatake Summit (9,698 feet) SO CLOSE!

















Komagane, Nagano, Japan (Yes, that is a town down there and a it was a VERY long walk!)

A 270 degree View (I waited for the calmest winds I could.)

No comments:

Post a Comment